Today, the final day, is indeed MY day in this Blogging from A to Z challenge. There was really no question on what I would write about today. It is not only my favorite Z word, but my all time fave. It is a lovely, whimsical, sonorously perfect description of…myself.
ZAFTIG: Adjective, Slang. 1937, from Yiddish zaftik, lit. “juicy,” from zaft “juice,” from M.H.G. saft “juice.”
- (of a woman) having a pleasantly plump figure.
- full-bodied; well-proportioned.
- literal: juicy, succulent.
- buxom, chubby, embonpoint, plump.
- Also, zoftig.
- having an (over)abundance of flesh.
- Of a woman, having a plump and sexually attractive figure; voluptuous, well-proportioned.
- (of a female body) healthily plump and vigorous.
- with a full-figured body.
- [women] having a pleasantly plump figure; full-bodied; well proportioned.
- having a full, shapely figure; said of a woman.
- having a full, rounded figure; pleasingly plump.
No matter how you state it, what is obvious is that zaftig refers to a plump woman. Fluffy. With some extra padding.
OK…fat. But not as ugly as that word. And not as rude when uttered out loud…to the aforementioned zaftig woman.
I’ve taken a bit of a liberty with the word, in that I chose to use it as a noun. In fact, I think it functions well – if not actually better – in that capacity. (Of a woman) is implied, if not stated outright, in every definition, and as such, it is easy to infer that zaftig (noun) would be defined as a woman with a full, shapely figure; a full-bodied woman; a pleasantly plump woman; a voluptuous woman; a Rubenesque woman. In a word…a ZAFTIG.
In the meantime…
…I am, and will continue to be, a zaftig cogitating.